It just doesn’t seem right that the Patriots are not in Super Bowl 50. Still, it’s a great event, and we will be tuning in for Lady Gaga’s national anthem, the game (go Broncos), the commercials and Cold Play’s halftime show.
Food is always a great part of Super Bowl Sunday, and in this week’s blog, we share our Crispy Baked Shrimp, served with our Amped-up Coleslaw.
We also feature this week’s Amaryllis report, our indoor/outdoor garden update and, of course, the bears!!!
CRISPY OVEN-BAKED SHRIMP
This tasty, oven-baked shrimp looks and tastes fried, but has a lot less fat and calories. Easy!
Delicious as a sandwich, too!
- 1 lb. bag large, raw, deveined shrimp, 31- 40 ct.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs, separated – 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
How to prepare:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Defrost shrimp, peel and remove tail.
- Pat shrimp dry and place in bowl.
- Mix flour, chili powder and Mrs. Dash.
- Coat shrimp thoroughly with dry mix.
- Add beaten egg to shrimp mixture and toss.
- Add 3/4 cup bread crumbs to the bowl and toss to cover shrimp completely.
- Place coated shrimp on parchment-lined sheet tray.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup crumbs over shrimp.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Flip with spatula.
- Bake 5 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
This coleslaw is delicious. The broccoli slaw adds crunch and fiber.
- 1/2 of a 12 oz. bag of Dole’s Classic Coleslaw
- 1/2 of a 14 oz. bag broccoli coleslaw (we use Mann’s)
- 1 cup of light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
How to prepare:
- Mix the 2 coleslaw blends together.
- Combine mayo, mustard and lemon juice.
- Toss dressing with slaws and chill.
Great with the crispy baked shrimp!
ST. VALENTINE’S DAY IS COMING!!!
Woven Paper Heart Baskets
Roy learned these woven paper heart baskets from the PBS show “ZOOM!” Here is a link with details on how to make these baskets:
Check next week to see how we decorate and fill these charming hearts for St. Valentine’s Day.
PATIO & PLANT UPDATE
The bears ventured out onto the patio during today’s snow storm to clear off a sign!
Good thing they were able to warm up afterwards.
Weekly Amaryllis Report
The Amaryllis we received as a gift is thriving!!! It travels with the light throughout the day – early morning light on our office printer; mid-day light on the office counter and sunset in the apartment. Amazing growth in one week! Thanks Chris and Bernard!
This is where we started:
Here is this week’s growth! (Feed me Seymore!!!)
The bears have packed up their PATS gear and said goodbye and thanks for a great year! Now, they are focussing their energy on the UCONN Huskies! (The bears are always so um … subtle… with their decorations! (Yeah it’s the bears who do that!) GO HUSKIES!!!
Roy and Kevin