This week, we have a couple of Super Bowl related ideas and a recycling suggestion.
“NO TELL” QUESO DIP RECIPE: We love the Rotel Queso Dip you see on TV with the canned tomatoes with chiles and Velveeta. We decided to make it healthier. Our version uses light cream cheese and cheddar. It’s great to bring to parties because it can be made in advance and reheated in a microwave.
Ingredients: 2 tablespoons of light margarine; 2 tablespoons of fine flour such as Wondra; 1 1/2 cups milk; one 8-oz. package of room-temperature light cream cheese; 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese; one 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with mild chiles, drained; 1/2 teaspoon chili powder; chopped tomato; hot sauce (if desired).
How to make:
- In a medium sauce pan, melt margarine and whisk in flour to create a roux
- Add milk and stir until mixture begins to thicken
- Stir in cream cheese until melted and smooth
- Add cheddar cheese, mix to combine
- Add chili powder
- Add drained tomatoes to cheese mixture
- Lower heat and allow to thicken – about one-two minutes
- Spoon into serving dish, sprinkle with hot sauce and garnish with chopped tomatoes
- Serve with tortilla chips or the pita chips from last weeks blog (shown with dip in picture above). This also is delicious with a small French baguette. (Kevin likes this dip with mini-pumpernickel bread from the deli department at the grocery store.)
PUT A LITTLE LIGHT ON THE SUBJECT: In our home, we use festive party lights year round. We have lights for St. Valentines Day, St. Patricks Day and Easter and, of course, Christmas. During non-holiday times, we love the warm glow the lights give our home and patio. (Think Tavern on the Green!) For the Super Bowl, we’ve decorated our patio with our tomato cage trees emblazoned in blue and red Patriots colors! Go Pats!!!
RECYCLING AND ORGANIZING IDEA: We often buy pre-packaged cold cuts from the grocery store. They come in small plastic containers similar to Tupperware. We recycle these tubs by using them to store our sewing and craft supplies. (Love our glue sticks!) They stack easily and are transparent, so we can easily find the items we need. These work out great!
Have a wonderful week!
Roy & Kevin