We love St. Patrick’s Day, and this year we came up with some fun things suitable for the whole family. Find out about our easy shamrock cake, a traditional potato recipe, a simple holiday drawing tip, some gifts for the wee ones, a garden update and, of course, the bears!
EASY SHAMROCK CAKE
This no-bake cake was easy to create. We were going to stencil the shamrocks onto the cake with green decorating sugar, but early attempts didn’t go well. After looking around the candy aisle for an alternative, we thought that mint dark chocolate M&M’s would make perfect shamrocks. They did!
For the shamrock cake we used:
- store-bought angel food loaf cake
- 1 can white frosting, dyed with 2 drops green gel food coloring
- green, dark chocolate mint M&M’s
- 1 tube green cake decorating gel
- green decorating sugar
How to prepare:
- Place cake on plate lined with pieces of parchment paper (will keep plate clean).
- Frost thoroughly with green frosting.
- Sprinkle entire cake with green decorating sugar.
- Arrange M&M’s in groups of three as shown above.
- Create shamrock stem with decorating gel.
- Remove parchment from beneath cake.
- Clean excess frosting from plate with a paper towel.
- Surround cake with leftover M&M’s.
OH, AND WE LEARNED SOMETHING:
To draw a shamrock: Left over St. Valentine’s Day hearts can be used to make shamrocks. Trace 3 foam heart stickers and add a stem. Instant shamrock!
Here is a traditional Irish recipe.
GIFTS FOR THE WEE ONES
We love to send little holiday fun packages to our great and great-great nieces and nephews. They enjoy getting mail and having special items to celebrate the holidays. We are now sending holiday-themed photos of ourselves in the mailing so the little ones can know who sent the packages.
For St. Patrick’s Day, the mailings include barrettes, stickers, sunglasses and green toy cars. Candy would be a great addition, but we decided to skip it this time.
A fun and inexpensive surprise.
The first St. Patrick’s Day parade was not in Ireland but in Boston in 1737.
We have had a great time with our Amaryllis plant!!!
Here it is in full bloom.
JOKE OF THE DAY
Why should you never iron four-leaf clovers? Because you don’t want to press your luck! Joke and trivia source: Examiner.com
The bears (above) have decided to wear a bit o’ the green for St. Paddy’s Day and so have we!!!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Roy and Kevin
Reblogged this on Funclesarts and commented:
Here’s last year’s St. Patrick’s Day blog post!